Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ahhh....memories.

I got in my big stereo the other day and pulled out some old CD's to listen to. They are my old CD's from high school, from the 1990's. Quite the interesting range of music. I have everything from classical music to broadway musicals, to soundtracks to movies, to angry chick music.

So I sifted through the CD's and decided to listen to one of my faves from my junior year, Alanis Morissette. Yikes! I guess when you're 16, you don't pay that much attention to the lyrics of the music you are listening to. As I was sitting there, I heard practically every curse word in the book, everything from being mad at someone to wanting to have vengeance on an ex, to being thankful, to going to confession. What?!?! She is an odd duck.

So as I was listening to my music, Cameron comes home and hears some of it and we get into a conversation about what kind of person I was in high school. As an up and coming freshmen, he wanted to gauge how it was going to be. Now, I am not that old, only being 31. But I know for a fact, as a substitute teacher, that high school is very different than when I was there. Some things are the same, but it is a vastly different place than what I remember. It doesn't help that Cameron is going to a huge high school and I went to a school that had less students in the entire high school than he will have in his graduating class!

Anyhow, it will be interesting to see just how different things are for him than they were for me. I was the type of girl in high school that didn't care much about what people thought of me. I wore mismatched socks and my hair in a ponytail. I walked around with my friends and got called a band geek. I didn't care. I took pride in what I was involved in and didn't care what anyone else thought about it. I spent all my free time listening to music and singing along to broadway titles and pop music.

After Cameron listened to a little Alanis, he came to the conclusion that I was "emo" in high school. I told him that type of music was what was popular back then. Grunge, "emo" music, cranberries, alanis, sophie b hawkins, weezer, etc.

Anyway, it got me thinking, I wonder what Cameron will look back on when he is 31 and remember about high school? Will he be a band geek because he is in marching band? Will he be popular? Will he end up finding his soulmate in high school like Shane and I did? Who will he take to prom and what will be his best memories? Who will he be excited to see at his 10 year reunion? 20 year reunion? Will he still graduate wanting to be an archaeologist or biblical historian?

So many exciting times ahead of him. I am excited to see him through it. All the ups and downs of being in high school. Friends that come and go. Girlfriends and broken hearts. I hope he comes out of it as unscathed as possible. No long lasting pains.

While I wouldn't go back to high school if someone paid me to, I have lots of fond memories and some painful memories. What do you remember most from your years in high school? A certain boy/girlfriend? The Prom? Graduation? Extracurricular activities?

For me, I enjoyed marching band and winter guard the most. I learned a lot. I was a spelling bee champion, and a spell bowl nerd. But, all in all, I remember my friends and regret not keeping in touch with them as well after we graduated.

ahh memories.....

No comments:


My Boys!

My Boys!