Thursday, January 20, 2011

On The Road...

It's almost 11pm on a snowy, windy Thursday night. I am still up, the house is quiet, dark, Cameron is asleep. Did I mention I am home alone?

Shane accepted a postition within his company as a sales director for an 11 state territory. It hasn't started yet, won't until March 1, but having to go to Louisville, KY to help finish a job his guys started has been a good test as to how well this is going to work. It's not so bad, since for the last 2 1/2 years I have very rarely seen my husband in the evenings, only to have him come home late, and end up asleep on the couch before anyone else even thinks about going to bed. I am used to nonstop phone calls on the weekends, disrupting every opportunity of family time, or having lunch together with people, or going somewhere. Always worrying about whether we will have to make a run to Morristown to get something someone left behind, or make a copy of a paper for someone, or just to go in and get some work that needs to get done. It has been hard. This new position will take him away from home for the week, but home on Friday afternoons and all weekend. No phone calls 24/7. No weekends at the office. The only thing is he is going to be out of the state for the week. But, on breaks from school, we will be able to hop in the car with him and head to different states with him. It will be boring for Cameron and I, but it will mean family time in the car traveling together. I can handle that.

Sleeping by myself in my bed is hard. I am a cold natured person already and Shane is my wall of heat. He snuggles up with me and keeps me warm. Now I will go to bed in a cold empty bed, fending for myself on the warmth. I will make due and will make it work. There are so many positive things about this position, with only a small amount of negative things. I think it will mean more quality time together in the end, because his weekends will be stress free and he will be 100% with us. Not worrying about jobs that are scheduled for the next week, etc.

Our house is coming along finally! They started framing it today! It is getting so close, I can feel it! I am so excited I can't wait! once we move, it will be easier to not worry about Shane on the road, because I will be busy decorating, going to the real estate office to work some days, painting, sitting on my front porch, sipping peppermint tea and reading a good book in the evenings, getting the firepit ready for the weekends, grilling out, meeting our new neighbors. The list goes on and on. If Cameron joins the marching band this summer, I will be busy taking him to practices, picking him up, getting him here and there. I think during the summer, we will go with Shane about once a month. During the school year, it will be only on breaks from school.

So many things change. So quickly things change. I praise God for allowing Shane to have this opportunity to get out from behind the desk and have less stress at his job. I praise God for all the wonderful things in our lives. He is so good to us and we are so undeserving.

No comments:


My Boys!

My Boys!