Tuesday, January 11, 2011

14 years ago.

The snow had fallen all night, the snow emergencies were out. Blizzard warnings were posted. Shane's car was still stuck in the drift down the road from the night before trying to get to the rehearsal dinner. Some people couldn't come to the wedding because of the weather. The church was out in the country and the roads were barely plowed. My dad's truck barely made it through. My hair was done, my maid of honor was in the truck with us and we went on our slick, snow covered way to the church. I was 5 months pregnant, nervous and scared, excited but anxious. Food was being prepared, cake was being delivered, all was in place.

The reason we got married in the middle of the winter was because I wanted us to be married as close to the one year mark as possible. We started dating the year before on January 12th. But that was a Sunday, so we settled for the 11th. I didn't want to wait until after Cameron was born, I wanted to be married before.

I walked into the church and looked into the sanctuary. Flowers were set, photographer was there to take pictures. Cake was downstairs in the basement along with sandwiches and other food that was ready to be served. It was all surreal. I was only 17 years old, pregnant and scared to death. I knew what I was getting into, but it still scared me a little.

As I stood outside the sanctuary doors with my dad, I heard the song being sung and then the music started. I made my way down the aisle with my daddy. He looked at me with tears in his eyes as we walked towards Shane. As dad gave me away to Shane, I saw my soon to be father in law standing there preparing to marry us, kleenex in hand, tears in his eyes. With all the snow, the aisles were full and there were people standing in the back. I remember nothing about the ceremony except that the unity candle wouldn't light and I started crying because I thought it meant that our marriage wouldn't never last. I laugh now. After the ceremony we went downstairs and celebrated.

I sit here 14 years later and look back on that day. Our lives began then, but they only got stronger the longer we have been together. God sent me Shane. I believe He sends someone for every person out there. Shane is my soulmate and I was so lucky to find him as young as I did. I wouldn't go back and change a thing. I am so glad I married him and had Cameron. My life began then. We may have been young and clueless, but we have grown up together and I think raised a pretty great kid.

Thank you God, for leading me to my soulmate and giving us our son. May our love grow stronger every day for each other. My heart swells with love.

No comments:


My Boys!

My Boys!