Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Four Ideas to Help You Get Started on a Healthier Diet.

Do you know what a GMO is? If not, let me help you out. GMO stands for genietically modified organism. In short, this means that something in the food has been changed, altered, modified. Obviously, you can't know what is what these days in the grocery store just by looking at the labels. They teaase you, trick you, make you think what you are eating is good for you, but in all actuality, it is garbage. Sometimes, illegal in other countries. Sometimes, it is something that could eventually make you sick.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory right?

I have spent the last year researching foods, reading labels, catching up with other homemakers out there and finding out how this real foods thing works. I have spent countless hours reading labels and have come to find out that there are a lot of foods out there that have things in them that I can't even prounounce! Isn't what we eat supposed to be something we actually know what it is? Made from wholesome ingredients? I can tell you that when I bake homemade bread, I use flour (depending on what kind of bread I am making this could be wheat flour, rice flour or coconut flour) yeast, water, honey or sucanat (a type of organic sugar) and some oil. I mix the dough, knead it, let is rise and there you go. Nice fresh, homemade bread. Nothing I can't pronounce, nothing chemically added to preserve it. Lately, I have been going gluten and wheat free, so when I go through that process, I do add xantham gum. It is natural, it is still not a chemical.

I looked at the bread at kroger one day and found things in it that sounded like something from a sci-fi show.

Here's the exact list: enriched flour (wheat flur, malted barley, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin, mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid) water, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, yeast, soybean oil, salt, soy flour, sodium stearoyl lacylate, ammonium sulfate, calcium sulfate, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, monocalcium phosphate, enzymes, calcium propionate.

Do you even know what half of that is? I can tell you that high fructose corn syrup is a GMO. Anything with corn in it has been modified and changed, enriched flour means they bleach the natural flour with chemicals, taking out the nutrients, then add in fake synthetic nutrients. The ammonium this and phophate that is just a bunch of unnecessary garbage they add in usually to preserve freshness and shelf life. Or to make it taste good and make you want more and more and more. Yes, these chemicals they add to your food actually make you want more. They have an addictive property in them. It is disgusting.

I know some will think I am nuts, read too much and have way too much time on my hands. I decided recently that since I do have time on my hands and have read and researched this stuff, that I may as well tell you all about it. We have been eating organic, real foods for the last year, off and on at times, and I will tell you that when we are eating out at restaurants or eating processed food or foods that have GMO in them, we feel sluggish, run down and just blah. When we eat organic, real foods, we feel better and it is not just in our heads. It is really a difference.

Some easy starting points to eating better.
1. Buy organic fruits and veggies. With all the pesticides and herbicides they spray all over these, you can't wash them all away. Buy from farmer's markets if you can too.
2. Buy all of your dairy products organic. Again with the hormones they give the cows in big farms, that gets transferred to you in your milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.
3. Spend some time reading food labels and try to buy only things with 5 ingredients or less in them.
4. Don't buy anything that contains HFCS. (high fructose corn syrup)

These are a few starting points. I would be happy to help you in any way I can with some guidance or information. Don't hesitate to ask. :)

No comments:


My Boys!

My Boys!