Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Williamsburg, VA trip Days 1 and 2

Cameron and I have had the pleasure of going on a historical trip with my grandparents to historic Williamsburg, VA. We are going to be traveling to different places on our trip, so I decided to blog about them a day or two at a time.

Day 1- traveled from Indiana to Beckley, WV. Nothing too exciting going on today.
Day2- Left Beckley and went to Staunton, VA. Here is a neat town. On our way to Staunton, we stopped at Greenbriar Resort in White Sulphur Springs, WV. My grandpa has mentioned this place before as a place that houses an underground bunker for government officials should something happen to the country where they would be safe. I must say, this seems a little farfetched, but if there was going to be a place for them to go, this would be ideal! It is tucked away in a little out in nowhere town in the mountains and hills. We went inside the resort to look around and take some pictures. If the government thing is incorrect, then there is lots of interesting information about this resort anyway! 26 presidents of the US have stayed here, as well as many celebrities. Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope, etc. It is beautiful and colorful and ritzy. I certainly didn't fit in there, but it was neat to go in and see how the rich live!! :)

After our trip to the Greenbriar, we got to Staunton. We went to the Frontier Museum, which is home of many old farmhouses from different countries. England, Ireland, Germany, Africa and America. Dating back from the 1600's, these homes were bought in their original countries and taken apart and brought across the ocean and put back together here. They have original wood, original windows in some of them, it is so neat! I love history, I love seeing living history.

On the grounds of the Frontier Museum is an abandoned, state owned sanitorium from many years ago. I had no idea what it was and asked one of the actors about it. Then got online and looked it up. Creepy!! Forced sterilizations were performed at this sanitorium when people were deemed mentally unstable and mentally incapable of having children. The sanitorium also housed mentally unstable children for a time. It is boarded up and the weeds are grown up around it, which only adds to the creepiness factor. I watched a video of some men going in it at night and running out scared when they heard screams (which I could hear on the video) and thumping noises (which I also heard) Yikes!!! Glad I am not staying there! But, we are staying right up the road less than a mile. Hope the ghosts stay away from here!! :)

Tomorrow, we are heading to Williamsburg. We are staying there 3 days and visiting Jamestown, Yorktown and Williamsburg. Then we are heading towards home and stopping by Mt. Vernon and coming up through Pennsylvania. I am definitely looking forward to seeing history of our country the rest of the week and I know Cameron is so excited because he loves Revolutionary War era history!! What a great vacation! We are so blessed to be able to come to places like this and see things like this. Thank you grams and pap for inviting us!

No comments:


My Boys!

My Boys!