Monday, May 11, 2009

God's Gift to Me.

Yesterday was Mother's Day. This is the day every year that I remember why I am a mother. My son will be twelve years old tomorrow. I cannot believe how quickly the years have gone by. It seems like just yesterday, he was a little baby, cradled in my arms, safe from the world around him as I enveloped him. I could protect him from all the ugliness in this world.

As the years have gone by, I have come to have a different role in my son's life. As once the caregiver, the one that kissed the boo boos, the one that scooped him up in my arms when he fell. Now I am the chauffeur, taking him to karate, to church on Wed. nights, to friends' houses. He is so independent now. I am no longer needed to be with him all the time. As this saddens me greatly that I am now at that stage in his life, it gives me great joy that he is becoming the man that he is becoming. He has such great love for the Lord, and loves to please people. He is a comedian. When he was a young child, his personality was developing and instead of trying to force him to be what we wanted him to be, we let his personality develop as it was meant to. We let him try out all sports, activities, etc in hopes of him finding a passion. He just started karate, and he is doing great! He loves it! And I couldn't be more pleased. Of course, his dad wanted him to be a football or baseball or basketball player, but is filled with joy when he comes home to Cameron telling him about the new belt he got or the next stripe he needed, or the new kick he learned.

He wants to be a biblical archaeologist when he grows up. He has been adamant for years he was going to be a paleontologist. Now we have moved on to being an archaeologist. But he wants to be a biblical archaeologist so that he can discover something from the bible to help prove Jesus was the messiah and that God is God, so that the unbelievers of the world will stop being skeptical and come to Christ. How awesome is that? Perhaps God will use him in a way we don't know yet. Maybe God's plan is for him to do this someday. We don't know yet of course.

Unfailing love. That is my son. He loves me like no other son could love his mother. He sticks up for me, he still hugs me, he still lays on the couch and snuggles up with me, he is still my baby. He is just a really cool kid. He loves the Lord and if he is telling someone something or gets angry and says something he knows wouldn't be pleasing to God, he will pray for forgiveness. He says things that no twelve year old should know. He is wise beyond his years. I actually got a call from the asst. principal at his school a week or so ago telling me that Cameron had been hit in the stomach by a heavy school book by a boy in his class. He wasn't hurt, nor was he upset about it, but she told me that when she asked the boy who hit him why, he said, I don't know, and when asked how it woudl feel if Cameron had hit him back, his words were, "Cameron is the nicest guy in our school, he would never hurt someone else." She said that she wished there were more boys out there with the heart and care for others that Cameron has. Of course, I was gushing with pride in my son that he didn't fight back and was the one that turned the other cheek. Talk about proud mom!!

So I say all this and brag about him to say this. I thank God every day that he blessed me with such a wonderful god fearing, loving, forgiving, awesome kid. Cameron is an absolute joy to be around and to have the privelage to raise him is an honor. I love him more than I ever thought I could love someone. I can't wait to see him continue to grow into the man he is to become and see the wonderful things in store for his life. As I sit here with tears in my eyes, remembering the wonderful times him and I have had, I cry for joy thinking about all the years we have left to enjoy each other. He is super kid and I don't deserve to have him, but somehow God thought I was worthy enough to have the privelage to raise this special kid. Thank you Lord for your blessings.

Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers out there reading this.
And to Cameron.
Happy Birthday, you are turning twelve years old tomorrow (Tuesday). You will never begin to fathom how much I love you....you are my lifeblood. I am so proud of you for the man you are becoming. I cherish you.
love, mommy.

No comments:


My Boys!

My Boys!