Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Did you ever make bisquick?

The other day I was thinking of what to make for supper. My boys are huge fans of chicken and dumplings, so I decided to make some. But, alas, no bisquick or pioneer baking mix.

What's a girl to do?

A year ago, I would've made a trip to Kroger and bought some bisquick. But, instead, I decided I could find a recipe to mak my own bisquick and go for the real food option. Ever read the ingredients on the box of bisquick? Can you pronounce all of them? Didn't think so....

So, making bisquick is so super easy that I don't know why I haven't been making my own all along! And much cheaper than buying the box from the store! All you need is three ingredients. Yep, just three! Flour, baking powder, and butter.

Here's the recipe. It makes enough to put some in the freezer for another day when I want to make biscuits or pancakes.

6 cups flour
3 Tbsp baking powder
1 cup butter

Mix ingredients, cut butter into dry ingredients until blended well. Store in airtight container. Done.

It takes 2 cups of the baking mix and 2/3 cup of milk for dumplings, as well as biscuits.
See, how easy is that? Making things from scratch isn't too hard, it just takes a little extra time.

Maybe next time you want to make pancakes or biscuits, and run out of bisquick, instead of heading out to the store, make some!
Have fun!
Until next time!

No comments:


My Boys!

My Boys!